configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Morrison, Bradley A. bradm at unocal.com
Tue Jan 23 16:53:44 GMT 2001

I get the "language optional software package not installed" bit, that just
means you didn't buy Sun's C compiler.

I'm not sure why configure would complain about not being able to find gcc
in your $PATH, since at what appears to be the next prompt, you "found" gcc.
I did find an override provision in the configure that came with Samba
2.0.6--you can set an environment variable CC to define your compiler:

Bourne/Korn/bash/most every other shell besides cShell:
	$ CC=gcc
	$ export CC
cShell:
	% setenv CC gcc

I think this will get you what you want.  This is a useful setting in lots
of other contexts, since make honors this environment variable, too:

$ cat > foo.c
main () {printf("hello, world!\n");}
<control-d>
$ make foo
cc    -o foo foo.c
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `foo'
$ CC=gcc; export CC
$ make foo
gcc    -o foo foo.c
$ ./foo
hello, world!
$

BTW, a quick way to determine whether any executable script or binary is in
your $PATH is the 'which' command--it returns the first instance of the
command in your $PATH variable:

$ which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc

Finally, don't beat yourself up for not knowing as much as you'd like to
about UNIX.  Bill Joy, the co-founder of Sun Microsystems, the guy who
*wrote* most of what we know as Berkeley UNIX (he wrote 'vi', for goodness'
sake :-), said recently that he is still discovering how to use UNIX.

"The fool thinks he is wise; the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

I think it was very wise of you to post your question to the list, you know,
lighting a candle vs. cursing the darkness.