Print spoolfile non-unique filenames

bcant at dpml-uk.com bcant at dpml-uk.com
Tue Jan 23 14:59:14 GMT 2001

Hi all,

Since samba 2.0.7 (samba-2.0.7-21ssl.i386.rpm) in the RedHat 7.0
distro. When printing from win95 to a samba printer, the print file
appears in the spool directory (path=) with the same filename as it
had on the win95 client - ie not unique.

This causes loads of problems when more than one person is
printing the same document or the same person prints a document
more than once and quickly enought so that the first print job has'nt
finished processing ( why they can't use numcopies is a mystery -
see Excel 97 )

I have tried to write various wrapper scripts to make a quick copy of
the file to a unique filename before printing but it just aint quick
enough.

Can you tell me if this has been fixed in later releases and/or the
developers know about it? Any ideas would be appriciated.

Thanks for reading.
Bean.

Benjamin Cant
Software Engineer

Digital Product Management Ltd.
6 Sun Street, Hitchin, HERTS, England, SG5 1AE

http://www.dpml-uk.com

tel: +44 (0)1462 438938
fax: +44 (0)1462 451755