Samba and quotas

Peter Kaagman peter at planet.nl
Mon Jan 22 22:01:37 GMT 2001

Reply To peter.kaagman at planet.nl
=======================================
Gebruik voor het antwoorden niet de
reply knop, m'n sendmail configuratie
is nog steeds niet wat het moet zijn.
=======================================
Don't use the reply button to reply
to this mail, my sendmail configuration
is not really what it should be.
=======================================
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Alin Osan wrote:

> On 22 Jan 2001, at 12:35, Peter Kaagman wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Being new on this list I do not really know if this is the correct
> > list to post. After searching the archives I am pretty sure the answer
> > is not yet here (or I can't search, which can be true)
> >

> > My problem is as follows
> >
> > We are currently testing a Linux/Samba server to host the home shares
> > for about 1000 students at our school (the test is conducted with just
> > 10 of them).
> >
> > With ca 1000 students you can imagine the need for disk quotas
> > (otherwise my system will crash after the x-th download off WinZip and
> > such).
> >
> > Linux offers diskquotas without any pain. I had it up and running
> > within one afternoon.
> >
> > Samba on the other end did not complain when a student exceeded his
> > quota, it just made zero-size files. I then learned about the
> > configure option --with-quotas.
> >
> > At the moment I've got an recompilled version off samba with this
> > option. The effect is that samba somehow overrules the qouta and
> > writes the file after the quota is exceeded. Logged on as that user
> > via ssh I learned that I can not make another file in  the shell
> > because the quota is exceeded. So quotas are still in effect.
> >
> > I've  not been able to find any information on this option to solve
> > this behavior. So if anyone could point me in the right direction (or
> > even have a solution on the boilerplate :-) ) ?
> >
> > Groetjes
> >

> > Peter Kaagman / Systeembeheer Atlas College
>

> Hi Peter,
>
> I hope I can help you out.
> Samba has nothing to do with quotas. I have about the same
> situation at my work an quota works just fine.
> Are you sure that your kernel supports quota?
> Tell me more about your system.
>

> Alin Osan
> Network Administrator
> "Fundatia Casa"
> http://www.tryrom.com/casa
> phone 059467200
> fax   059467202

BTW
That warning about my sendmail is not a joke, I haven't come arround to
fixing it.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for trying to help me..

About my system...
It's a standard Slackware 7.1 install, except for Samba wich I recompilled
after configuring with the option --with-quotas. It uses a kernal version
2.2.16

My kernal does support quotas:
I added a testuser an gave him a (small) quota, soft 100k hard 200k and at
first no grace period. Later I added a grace period off 1 day which had no
effect.
When I log on as that user (bash) and add files (copying a certain
file) the quota manager jumps in at a certain moment and prohibits me to
create any more files.

So I think my kernal supports quotas.

Before I recompilled samba the following happened on a NT4 WS:
I could happely create files in the home share (which has the quota),
after I exceeded the quota files would be created off zero size.

After I recompilled (samba) this behaviour changed:
I could happely keep on adding files in the share, even when the quota is
exceeded.

I do agree with you, samba has nothing to do with the quota as it is.
But... it does strike me as odd that samba happily writes files while th
equota  is exceeded. How does it do that use root priveleges to write the
files. As root I was abble to copy files in the full directory.

Wouldn't samba at least not write the file and warn the user that there is
a problem with creating the file (disk full warning or such?)

Tomorrow I'll try to gather some details for you when I'm at work.

groetjes

Peter