MULTI USER ACCESS TO 1 DATA FILE IN WIN98

dkwok dkwok at iware.com.au
Mon Jan 22 20:32:22 GMT 2001

Message: 6
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:19:31 +0200
From: Dolgopolov Sergey <virgo at azcher.kharkov.ua>
To: samba at us5.samba.org
Subject: Re: multi user access to 1 data file

> Message: 5
> From: "dkwok" <dkwok at iware.com.au>
> To: <samba at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Fw: multi user access to 1 data file
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:10:21 +1100
>
> I am running v2.0.7 and have set up a network drive for an accounting
ledger
> system. The software is called MYOB and is quite popular in Australia.
This
> is the first time I have to deal with multi user access to 1 data file.
>
> My setup is:
>
> Global
>
> oplocks = yes
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY
>
> [MYOB]
> path=/home/office/MYOB
> force group = office
> directory mask = 0770
> browesable = yes
> writable = no
> readonly = no
> creat mask =0770
>
> The MYOB program is executed local at workstation and only access data
> through the network drive. When only 1 workstation accessing the data the
> performance is quite normal. However, as soon as another workstation
logged
> onto and accessing the same data file. The performance is not so slow that
> it takes 2 minutes to record a transaction.
>
> I have relocated the same data file into a win98 machine and all
workstation
> access it from that machine. The performance is then back to normal. So
> either Samba is working differently when it is in multi user mode. This is
> only accessing data therefore we should be talking about file locking,
> transfer, read and write, etc.
>
> Please send me any pointers or tech reference in how to resolve this
issue.

> David Kwok
>

>>Try this:

>>[global]
>>ole locking compatibility = no

I have checked the usage of ole locking compatibility.

"If yes, locking ranges will be mapped to avoid Unix locks crashing when
Window uses locks above 32KB. You should avoid changing this option."

So how it affects the problem I have. If it does, how can I localise this
setting to perhaps only to the share directory or only to certain type of
files. Say in this case the data file of MYOB which is *.prm?

David Kwok