passwd sync

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Sat Jan 20 02:46:33 GMT 2001

A sum of smb questions.

Below is my smb.conf and smb.conf.nobody

1. Normal users should be able to write to homes and network-drive.

works

2. webartist users can mount and write testsite.

works.

3. all should be able to print

works

4. Normal users should change and sync passwds. Nobody user is the guest and
should not.

The passwd syncing still doesn't work.

5. I am unsure with multiple smb.conf.* files what statements should be in
which. I had a smb.conf.nobody file which didn't contain the testsite and homes
section and it caused the normal users not to be able to mount those shares.
Why would that make sense? If this file is for the nobody user only why would
it affect the normal users? Can't I remove certain stuff from smb.conf.nobody
because it doesn't affect the nobody user?

smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = SHADOWWARRIOR
        guest account = nobody
        keep alive = 30
        os level = 2
        kernel oplocks = false
        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
        log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
        lock directory = /var/lock/samba
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
        load printers = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n \
                *new*password* %n\n *changed*
        username map = /etc/smb.usermap
        browseable = no
        config file = /etc/smb.conf.%U

[network-drive]
        path = /winmount
        comment = Network Drive
        create mode = 644
        writeable = yes
        guest ok = yes

[testsite]
        comment = Testsite For Website
        writeable = yes
        valid users = @webartist
        path = /usr/local/httpd/htdocs/testsite
        create mode = 0664
        directory mode = 0775

[homes]
        browseable = no
        map archive = yes
        veto files = /.*/
        writeable = yes

[printers]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        print ok = yes
        printing = lprng
        printable = yes
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes

[smurf]
        path = /var/spool/samba
        print ok = yes
        printing = lprng
        printable = yes
        guest ok = yes
        public = yes
        print command =      /usr/bin/lpr  -P%p -r %s
        lpq command   =      /usr/bin/lpq  -P%p
        lprm command  =      /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        lppause command =    /usr/sbin/lpc hold %p %j
        lpresume command =   /usr/sbin/lpc release %p %j
        queuepause command = /usr/sbin/lpc  -P%p stop
        queueresume command = /usr/sbin/lpc -P%p start

smb.conf.nobody:

[...]

        comment = Testsite For Montie Website