Samba "almost" working

Ed Troy etroy at aeroconsult.com
Fri Jan 19 01:04:45 GMT 2001

I've made a bunch of changes and adjustments, with the help of some list
members, and I "almost" have samba working. Now, if I search for
192.168.0.6 (the dhcp address of the linux box) it shows up on my win2k
machine. If I then doubleclick on 192.168.0.6, it brings up a bunch of
folders, like public, nobody, homes, and home. The only one that I can
access is public. But, I can only read files that I put into it. I cannot
write to it. The other folders bring up messages that they are either not
reachable, or I get a username and password window, but they bomb out when
I fill them in.

I am obviously close, but not there yet. Any ideas?? Also, it is still
obvious that the windows machines cannot locate the linux box by name,
although they can locate all of the win2k boxes by name. (IP addresses are
being assigned by dhcp by a Maxgate ugate 3200 switch/router.)

TIA,
Ed