Can't get SAMBA to work on DHCP peer to peer network

Ed Troy etroy at aeroconsult.com
Thu Jan 18 21:49:51 GMT 2001

I have been trying, for days, to get my linux box up and running with
samba, with no luck at all. It is RH 7.0, and I downloaded the various
updates, and made the changes suggested on their web site to at least get
SWAT running so I can try to configure samba. I can get smbd and nmbd
started, but I cannot see the machine by any of the win2k machines. (They
can see each other and share files, so I think the problem is with the
linux setup.)

I suspect my problem is related to the fact that I am using a Maxgate Ugate
3200 switched router to connect my local peer to peer network to a cable
modem (@home). The ugate 3200 acts as a dhcp server, and it seems to work
for the windows boxes. It also successfully assigns an ip address to the
linux box (192.168.0.6 at the moment). Also, the ugate has a table that
shows machine names and ip addresses. This shows all of the machines and
the proper ip addresses, including the linux box. So, I know that the ip
addresses are being assigned. However, although I can see the names of the
win2k machines in the network neighborhood on any of the win2k machines, I
cannot see the linux box. Also, although I can ping any machine, including
the linux box, I can only ping by ip address, not machine name. It seems
that there is no DNS. (I'm not surprised, since I did not set up a DNS
server for my peer to peer network. After all, I can't see any way to do
that when ip addresses can change constantly.)

How do you set up samba to work in a peer to peer network when you have a
switched router acting as a dhcp server? Although I can start and stop smbd
and nmbd, if I assign a drive, like / or /home to use for sharing, and
activate the change, all looks good until I go back to that page in SWAT
and I find that there is no assigned share drive. Also, I cannot print to a
postscript printer that is attached to my ethernet at 192.168.0.10 from the
linux box, although I can print to it from my win2k machines, one of which
has the drivers for it. I suspect all of these problems are related.

TIA,
Ed