Passwd changes problem

Bob Dusek bobd at saintjoe.edu
Thu Jan 18 18:49:28 GMT 2001

To create an smbpasswd entry, you need to run smbpasswd with the -a
option:

smbpasswd -a

If you are the root user on your server, you probably don't want to add
"root" to the smbpasswd file, so the smbpasswd command requires an
additional argument... the argument is the username of the user for
which you wan to create an smbpasswd entry...

[to add the user "johndoe"]

smbpasswd -a johndoe

Then, smbpasswd will prompt you to enter a password, then to re-enter
for confirmation.  Enter in the (same) password of choice each time. If
it tells you "malformed password entry (passwd too short)", then you
need to make the password longer.

Hope this helps.

Bob

--

Saint Joseph's College --  bobd at saintjoe.edu | http://www.saintjoe.edu
Administrative Computing Center, Bob Dusek...  219-866-6371

Think lucky. If you fall in a pond, check your pockets for fish.

		-- Darrell Royal