Bug creating directories on vfat drives

Maciej Łosiak maciej.losiak at emax.com.pl
Thu Jan 18 16:47:05 GMT 2001

Hello,

I have a vfat drive being shared with smb and whenever I go to create a new
folder from any of the clients to that shared drive, it gives me a message
that the folder allready exists, but
it still does create a new folder, and then i have to rename "new folder" to
whatever I want, same goes with copying/moving folders, it says the folder
allready exists (when it does not) then asks if i want to overwrite it. It
seems like when you send a request to the SMB mounted vfat drive, it creates
the folder then gets confused / or forgets it created the folder and checks
to see if it exists, and naturally it does (because it just did it) and then
prompts if it needs to be overwritten / or states that it allready exists...
When I try to create a new folder from my Win2K client, Samba replying:

 "Unable to create the folder 'New folder (N)'
 Cannot create a file when that file already exists."

On shares located on linux native drive for example /share all working OK.
When I create/copy file (not directory) on vfat drive all working OK.

Log file:

[2001/01/18 17:51:41, 1] smbd/service.c:make_connection(550)
  maciej (212.234.1.160) connect to service archiwum as user arch (uid=501,
gid=501) (pid 1809)
[2001/01/18 17:51:57, 0] smbd/open.c:open_directory(1217)
  open_directory: unable to create Materialy/Nowy folder (2). Error was
Operation not permitted

but "Nowy folder (2)" was created.

version info: Samba 2.0.7-21 ssl running on a Redhat 7 (2.2.16-22)

Maciej