smbfs mounts from Linux stops working

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Jan 18 15:16:26 GMT 2001

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Mathias Wiklander wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a big problem at my company. We have an linux server where some
> of my colleagues sometimes mounts windows shares. The mount works fine
> and you can use it for a while. But very often the mount stops to work.
> It is monted, but you can't use it. It is also inpossible to unmount it
> eaven if you try to force it. If you try to mount the sam share (on a
> nother mountpoint) it works again. this is realy annoying because yiu
> have to reboot the computer to make the mount disappear. Anyone who can
> help me fix this. Is it some known problem or? I have tryed to read
> FAQ's and the mailing list archives but I havent found something about
> it. We are running Debian 2.2 on it.

samba version? kernel version?

Do you get any kernel messages such as this?
    smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3

It should be a lot better in samba 2.0.7 and kernel 2.2.18, although
people have still reported this type of errors. I would also recommend
testing one of the patches below.

2.0.7:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-ascii+fixes.patch

2.2.0-alpha1:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.2.0-alpha1-ascii+fixes.patch

If you are running 2.2.18 already, could you check if smbmount/mount.smbfs
is running when it stops working? kernel messages? and then test again
with one of the above patches (they add logging so you should get a
log.smbmount that may say why they terminate, which I think they have).

/Urban