Windows machines can (only sometimes) not see the linux samba servers (after 35 days)

William R. Knox wknox at mitre.org
Wed Jan 17 14:11:04 GMT 2001

I have seen problems where our Samba boxes disappear from the WINS servers
that we have set up here for no apparent reason. In addition, I have done
some work with our NT group and discovered that the expiration date of our
WINS registration on primary and secondary WINS servers can differ
greatly, which will cause occasional problems. Are you using WINS on an NT
box at your installation? The next time you are no longer available on the
network, query the WINS box with nmblookup to see if you are still
registered, then stop and restart the nmbd daemon to re-register with the
WINS server and try nmblookup again.

We have implemented a nightly restart of the nmbd daemon in order to
circumvent this issue. This was easier than trying to figure out what was
going on and whether it was a samba problem or a problem with our NT
servers. Kludgy, I know. As soon as I have a free week, I'll start trying
to figure it out ;-)

			Bill Knox
			Senior Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
			The MITRE Corporation