NetBIOS name reg/resolution problem -- multiple net interfaces, Samba 2.0.7, Solaris 7, ClearCase

Eric Boehm boehm at nortelnetworks.com
Wed Jan 17 12:40:41 GMT 2001

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 08:48:08PM -0600, Gerald Carter wrote:

    Eric> I am having problems with Samba 2.0.7 running
    Eric> under Solaris 8. We are using Samba to use ClearCase on NT clients
    Eric> with UNIX servers. The machines it is running on have multiple
    Eric> network interfaces.

    Eric> I've tried several approaches, none of them seem to work.

    Eric> System Hostname and IP addresses. Hostname is zrtps078.  Hostname
    Eric> IP address Netmask zrtps078 47.111.70.82 255.255.240.0 zrtps079
    Eric> 47.140.7.213 255.255.240.0 zrtps07a 47.202.32.217 255.255.240.0

    Jerry> You config files don't seem to make a lot of sense to me.  Here's a
    Jerry> couple of points

What was it that didn't make sense? I had to guess at what the files should
like look. Any suggestions for improvement would be welcome. How would you do
it?

I have tried searching the mailing list archives for guidance on running
smbd/nmbd on separate interfaces. I didn't have any success.

    Jerry>   o if you wish to bind separate Samba daemons to different
    Jerry> interfaces, you should use the 'interfaces' and and 'socket
    Jerry> address' parameters in conjunction.  Oh, and an individual lock
    Jerry> directory like you had.

I was using 'interfaces' and 'bind interfaces only'. I thought that 'socket
address' was no longer needed or superseded by 'interfaces'. Are you saying
that I need all three?

    Jerry>   o If using a global file, IIRC %h is only expanded to the
    Jerry> hostname of the primary network interface.  Not all interface DNS
    Jerry> hostnames.  Use something like

I understand that %h is the hostname of the primary interface. I didn't need a
interface-specific file for the shares so I let that use %h.

    Jerry> 		netbios name = FOO netbios aliases = FOO2 FOO3

I missed 'netbios name'.

Eric M. Boehm                               boehm at nortelnetworks.com