NetBIOS name reg/resolution problem -- multiple net interfaces, Samba 2.0.7, Solaris 7, ClearCase

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Wed Jan 17 02:48:08 GMT 2001

Eric Boehm wrote:

> I am having problems with Samba 2.0.7 running under
> Solaris 8. We are using Samba to use ClearCase on
> NT clients with UNIX servers. The machines it
> is running on have multiple network interfaces.
>
> I've tried several approaches, none of them seem to work.
>
> System Hostname and IP addresses. Hostname is zrtps078.
> Hostname        IP address      Netmask
> zrtps078        47.111.70.82    255.255.240.0
> zrtps079        47.140.7.213    255.255.240.0
> zrtps07a        47.202.32.217   255.255.240.0

You config files don't seem to make a lot of sense to me.
Here's a couple of points

  o if you wish to bind separate Samba daemons to
    different interfaces, you should use the 'interfaces'
    and and 'socket address' parameters in conjunction.
    Oh, and an individual lock directory like you had.

  o If using a global file, IIRC %h is only expanded to the
    hostname of the primary network interface.  Not all
    interface DNS hostnames.  Use something like

		netbios name = FOO
		netbios aliases =  FOO2 FOO3

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com