Windows 98 not connecting to Linux

Derek Sivers / Hit Media hitlist at hitmedia.com
Wed Jan 17 01:25:05 GMT 2001

Imagine that!  Someone saying they can't connect Win98 to Linux!
I've done it before, and I'm sure it's a stupid authentication thing,
but PLEASE PLEASE HELP if you know the answer...

PROBLEM:
Just trying to share one directory on my Linuxbox  (/www)
Win2000 connects OK (only with encrypted passwords)
But Windows 98 won't connect to my Linux shared folder.
It gives either "Not Available" or "Please enter password" and never lets
me connect.   Any ideas?

I'm LOW security - alreayd behind a couple firewalls.  So things like
"force user" are OK.

MY /ETC/SMB.CONF file.

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?!?

[global]
        path = /www
        remote announce = 192.168.0.2/jupiter
        auto services = global
        dns proxy = no
        encrypt passwords = no
        null passwords = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
        force user = derek
        max log size = 50
        server string = linux
        workgroup = juniper