Printer sharing trouble

Alexi Margo alexi at wwood.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 12:11:17 GMT 2001

Hi,

I've tried locating a similar problem in list archives, FAQs and elsewhere
but to no avail. However, given that I'm not *entirely* sure what the
problem is, it's a little tricky to know what to search for. Therefore I do
apologise if this is a problem that has been previously addressed - if so, a
point towards the solution would be greatly appreciated as I'm well and
truly stuck! :(

The problem is as follows. We have a mixed PC/Mac environment. I am
successfully sharing files on my RedHat (6.2) box to both types of machines
with the use of Samba and Netatalk respectively. All authentication is going
via the Windows Domain, which is perfect.

There are three printers on our network and I would like all clients to be
able to print to them. Preferably, I would like *all* print jobs to be sent
to the RedHat box and spooled there before being sent on to the printers,
but this is not a requirement.

The three printers consist of two Apple LaserWriters (one colour), which are
contactable over AppleTalk. The other is an HP LaserJet attached to one of
the Windows clients. Naturally, all the PCs can see (and print to) the
LaserJet share and all the Macs can see (and print to) the LaserWriters, but
that is as far as it goes.

I have added the following to /etc/printcap:

lp|miserver1 LaserWriter|microLaser PowerPro:\
        :sd=/var/spool/texas:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :pl#63:pw#85:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:sf:\
        :lf=/var/log/texas-errs:\
        :if=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ifpap:\
        :of=/usr/lib/atalk/filters/ofpap:

I have created the spool directory and all the necessary files (.paprc etc.)
and I can now successfully print to this printer with lpr. I placed the
following in smb.conf:

[global]
        Printing = lpr
        print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s -r
        lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
        lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
        loadprinters = yes

[lp]
        printable = yes
        print command = /bin/cat %s >> /tmp/printlog; rm %s
        printer = lp
        printing = BSD
        read only = yes
        writable = no
        guest ok = yes
        path = /var/spool/samba
        print ok = yes

I can then go to a Windows client and see the printer advertised in Network
Neighbourhood. With the "Add Printer Wizard", I can add a local printer
entry for this shared printer. However, whenever I try to send a job to the
printer (e.g. the Windows "Test Page"), the local spooler on the Windows box
hangs. I previously received a variety of errors when the permissions on the
spool directories were insufficient, but that appears to have been resolved.

/tmp/printlog and /var/log/texas-errs are showing no activity, but log.smbd
displays the following:

win95-test (10.0.0.34) connect to service lp as user MI-GROUP\test
(uid=10016, gid=10000) (pid 7497)
INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11 in pid 7497 (pre-3.0.0)
Please read the file BUGS.txt in the distribution
PANIC: internal error
win95-test (10.0.0.34) connect to service lp as user MI-GROUP\test
(uid=10016, gid=10000) (pid 7531)
win95-test (10.0.0.34) closed connection to service lp

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Alexi Margo
Internet Systems Manager
Wildwood Technology Ltd
http://www.wwood.co.uk/
t +44-(0)20 8426 7777
f +44-(0)20 8426 5050

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) ("the Intended
Recipient") to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is
privileged and confidential within the meaning of applicable law.
Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying or other use of this
message or any of its content by any person other than the Intended
Recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly
prohibited. If you are not the Intended Recipient please contact the sender
as soon as possible.