Samba 2.0.5 + Windows ME

Anthony C. Chavez anthony at xmission.com
Sun Jan 14 09:00:56 GMT 2001

Fellow Samba-lovers:

I'm having an interesting problem getting Samba 2.0.5 and Windows ME to
work.  I have had no problem getting this version of Samba to work with
my Windows 9x, NT4.0 and 2k Pro boxen, but for some reason WinME seems
to be having issues.

No, it's not the plain text password issue.  I've got "encrypt passwords
= Yes" in smb.conf and it seems to work just fine.

<DESCRIPTION CLASS=PROBLEM>
My problem is quite different.  My WinME box is able to see my FreeBSD
3.5-STABLE shares and even look at the root directory of each share
(e.g. Multimedia).  However, when I try to descend past that level (e.g.
Multimedia\images), WinME gives me the following error:

"\\Anthony\Multimedia\images refers to a location that is unavailable.
It could be on a hard drive on this computer, on a network, or on a
different computer on your home network.  Check to make sure that the
disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or
the home network, and then try again.  If it still cannot be located,
the information might have been moved to a different location."

No, the information has not been moved to a different location.  This
can be verified by the fact that my Win2k Pro box that is simultaneously
connected to the LAN can see ~everything~ in my Samba shares.  It can
also see everything in my WinME shares (and vice-versa).

The WinME box can do just about anything in that root directory: read a
file, create a file and even create a directory.  However, a warning
message gets displayed when I create a directory:

"You may not be able to access files created in the folder
\\Anthony\Multimedia\images\New Folder.  Proceed?"
</DESCRIPTION>

<RESOURCES>
If you can help, please do!  Below is my smb.conf.  If you need any
additional resources, please let me know!

[global]
	netbios name = ANTHONY
	server string = Samba %v
	interfaces = 192.168.1.1
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	username map = /usr/local/etc/smb.usermap
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	load printers = No