smbmount with iocharset?

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Fri Jan 12 19:26:20 GMT 2001

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Thomas Buehren wrote:

> Hello all together,
>
> I have found an e-mail between you about smbmount with the new options
> iocharset/servercharset/codepage. As I could not find any information about
> this I decided to write to you:
>
> Does there already exist a binary to download for SuSE Linux 7.0 on i386? Or
> a patch, or sources?

Update your kernel to 2.2.18, configure smbfs to use a default nls
setting (probably cp850) and configure the local default nls to something
that works (probably iso8859-1). Both of these configurations are done in
the kernel config.

> The problem is that German umlauts in filenames are not displayed correctly
> when mounting a NTFS partition.

NTFS has nothing to do with smbmount. Are you exporting the NTFS partition
from the NT box and then mounting that? If yes, then this should fix
things for you.

/Urban