Multiple login failures problem

David L. Jarvis David at JarvisMountain.com
Thu Jan 11 16:47:14 GMT 2001

So you're saying I can put IP's -without- hostnames
in /etc/hosts?  Samba doesn't care if it comes back with
a blank hostname, or a hostname that doesn't match the
incoming login request?

Second question: Since my smb.conf file specifies a
name resolve order with wins being first, why can't
Samba do it's lookup there?  I made the change just
yesterday and already today several workstations have
had the same "Network is busy" problem.

PS: I'm a bit surprised that both here and in the
newsgroups all I see getting answered are the easy
questions!  I know the Samba team must be reading,
how about a little help here!  Don't let my boss
make me go back to NT!