Samba or Windows problem with network lockup...

Christopher D. Reimer creimer at rahul.net
Thu Jan 11 08:08:51 GMT 2001

Greetings!

I have a SuSE 6.3 file server with Samba 2.0.7 installed from the
source.  I access the pub directory from my Windows 98 machine, and use
Explorer to move files around back and forth.  Once in a great while, Samba
will lock up on a file transfer and subsequently blocks all network access
to and from the file server.  The only solution is to reboot the file
server.  (This is an undesirable solution since I have the pub share on a
RAID 1 configuration, and ckraid takes two hours to complete after a
crash.)  I have yet to have a crash with Samba when using a freeware file
browser called 2X Explorer.

I'm inclined to say that the problem is with Explorer and Samba has a major
hiccup when that problem appears.  However, I have never seen this problem
mention in various documents, man pages and FAQs.  Is there some Samba
configuration that I can use to prevent this crash from happening?  Or,
should I just stick with 2X Explorer instead?

(Curiously, I have a Samba on Red Hat Linux file server at work that never
crashes when anyone uses Explorer and it gets a lot of traffic.
Distribution issue?)

Thanks!

Christopher Reimer