Multiple login failures problem

Morgan Toal morgan_toal at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 02:56:44 GMT 2001

I am yet another person who is having a problem with Win98 clients
needing to make several attempts before successfully logging in
to our Samba box. I get the "broken pipe" message in the smb.log
just like everyone else.

This did not seem to be a problem until we got a phat broadband
connection. All the Windows boxes are set to point to our ISP's DNS.

I am not running DNS on the local network at all. Not even a cacheing
DNS. I don't think this would matter anyway, as several people have
pointed out that the issue is with reverse DNS, and this wasn't even
an issue until we were connected with the outside world.

Well, that's great, so let's say I go ahead and set up DNS. But we run
DHCP here. Am I supposed to key in everybody's address in the /etc/hosts
file, or the reverse DNS file on my Samba box? Isn't that kind of silly?

Or should I ask my ISP to do something?

Thanks for any advice!

mtoal