Umlaut in smbfs filenames

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 10 22:45:29 GMT 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Peter Henn wrote:

> Nevertheless  I decide to patch my working SuSE 7.0 kernel 2.2.16 and
> patch the samba package samba-2.0.7-42.src.rpm with your patches.

2.2.18 _really_ is a better version for smbfs.

> I would expect the nls default settings in the /etc/smb.conf and not in
> the kernel. So it would be a better idea that smbmount will read the
> default values from the /etc/smb.conf directly - also for kernel 2.2.18
> user.

The reason for setting a default in the kernel config is to allow people
to use nls in smbfs without having to patch/recompile samba. The default
value is really only for smbmounts that don't know about nls.

smbfs in 2.4.0 supports a samba patched with this patch to tell it which
codepage/charset to use.
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-ascii+fixes.patch

Allowing this syntax:
smbmount "//wmachine/volume" /mnt/smb -o fmask=644,dmask=755,localpage=iso8859-1,rmtpage=cp850

I agree that a smbmount modified like this could use /etc/smb.conf for
default values.

/Urban