Disappearing Mounts

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Wed Jan 10 22:28:34 GMT 2001

On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Grant wrote:

> [root]# date
> Wed Jan 10 19:58:54 EST 2001
>
> [root]# exit

Is the mountpoint accessed at all during this time?

> [root]# date
> Wed Jan 10 21:14:14 EST 2001
>
> [root]# cd /mount/dir
>
> [root]# ls -l
> ls: dir: Broken pipe
> total 0
>
> [root]# ps auwwx | grep mount
> root     24596  0.0  0.9  1976 1204 ?        D    19:58   0:00
> /sbin/mount.smbfs //win2k/share /mount/dir -o rw username USERNAME
> password XXXXXXX uid root gid root dmask 0777

[root]# ps -o wchan 24596
[root]# ps -o wchan 24596
[root]# ps -o wchan 24596

what does it say?
(The D means that it is waiting for some op to complete)

> [root]# ls -l
>
> It lists no files, as the share is no longer mounted.
>
> [root]# ps auwwx | grep mount
>
> mount.smbfs is no longer running.
>
> [root]# mount
> //win2k/share on /mount/dir type smbfs (0)

If you repeat and check with 'dmesg' after it stops working does it say
anything? Anything in /var/log/messages? There should be.

If you patch samba with this:
  http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-ascii+fixes.patch
you should get a log.smbmount in the samba log directory.
(Make sure you remove conflicting files if you have an rpm installed.
 smbmount/smbmnt/mount.smbfs from the rpm may need to be mv'd temporarily.)

I have had mounts vs win2k running for quite some time (at least a few
days, reconnecting and so until umounted) on 2.2.18. Maybe it wasn't a
SP1.

/Urban