Is this the current status of LDAP support for Samba?

Hastings, Curt chasting at ball.com
Wed Jan 10 15:14:01 GMT 2001

Hello Samba Gurus,

I have been doing some research regarding Samba and LDAP.  Our company wants
to investigate alternatives to win2000 Server and obviously Samba is an
option.  However, we also want to centrally administrate user accounts which
implies LDAP.

In my investigation I have understood the following to be the current state
of Samba/LDAP integration:

1. Samba 2.0.7 does not support LDAP.  Although you can compile Samba
--with-ldap the code is broken and does not work.

2. Samba 2.2.0 will support LDAP but is not out yet.

3. Some folks have gotten Samba pre2.1 (10-15-99) to work with LDAP but that
is alpha code and although LDAP may work other things probably don't.

Are my understandings correct?  If so when is 2.2.0 supposed to be released?
If I am incorrect please let me know.

Thanks for any help.

Curt Hastings
Ball Corporation