using smbclient without netbios names

Jeff jeffhall at tsn.cc
Wed Jan 10 06:33:49 GMT 2001

Hello Craig,
    Just Quickly I didnt read all of your email but here is what I think....
Thanks
    Computers not showing across subnets is becuase you probably havent set
branshing across different subnets up in your smb.conf file to display
computers on         different subnet class's or all together different
ranges

    And Windows9x and NT perform much better with IP lookups rather then
NetBEUI the only time netbios can be compared to IP lookups is when you have
a     WINS Server usually running on your Domain Controller or when NetBEUI
names are performed with DNS lookups......

    Also using NetBEUI with out a Domain Controller is very iffy it sort of
decides when it wants to display the other computers on your LAN
    Also it takes its time to resolve NetBEUI Names into IP's when your not
using a WINS... or Caching them

Thanks Jeff Hall
NetworkEclipse (02)65844664
Network Admin/Application Programmer