Help! Unknown error. Boss is gonna kill me. You cannot view the list of users at this time. Please try again later.

Jason Osborne jason at sohonetworks.cc
Wed Jan 10 04:52:50 GMT 2001

I have had a recurring error with samba for the past couple of days and for
some reason I can't figure out what the problem is. I am running a Linux box
running samba 2.0.7, windows nt terminal server 4, and windows 98 on three
boxes. The nt box is set up as a pdc and each other box has a computer
account. The samba server, when started, logins into the domain. The samba
server then acts as a normal system except it does do domain logons for
95/98. I have my windows 98 box setup to get a passwd list off the domain
soholan (i don't know if this helps, but when i change it, it says that the
domain could not be found and asks me to choose domain or server. I choose
domain). When I go and try to add users to shares on my Windows 98 box, I
get an error stating: "You cannot view the list of users at this time.
Please try again later.". I have looked over the samba docs and did a quick
search of this mailling list but didn't find anything. Did I miss it
somewhere in the docs? How would I fix this and why does it happen? Thanks
in advance for all your help. My config file is included below.

                 smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from UNKNOWN (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2000/06/21 14:45:37

# Global parameters
[global]
        guest account = nobody
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        debug level = 0
        wins proxy = No
        map system = Yes
        time server = Yes
        panic action = echo "Samba Error" >> /var/log/messages
        unix realname = Yes
        map hidden = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        domain master = No
        local master = No
        preferred master = No
        security = domain
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U
        logon script = %U.bat
        server string = Samba Server
        workgroup = SOHOLAN
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
        delete readonly = Yes
        hide dot files = No
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY
        getwd cache = yes
        keep alive = 60
        dead time = 30
        read prediction = yes
        share modes = yes
        netbios name = MERIDIAN
        load printers = No
        os level = 10
        wins support = No
        wins server = 192.168.0.2
        dns proxy = no
        lock directory = /var/lock/samba
        share modes = yes
        interfaces = 192.168.0.1/24
        socket address = 192.168.0.1
        bind interfaces only = yes
        password server = LITHIUM
        mangled names = yes

[netlogon]
        guest ok = yes
        share modes = no
        comment = Network Logon Services
        path = /usr/share/samba/netlogon
        browseable = no
        writeable = no

[Profiles]
        path = /usr/share/samba/profiles
        browseable = no
        guest ok = yes

[homes]
        writable = yes
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = No

[public]
        comment = Public File Share
        write list = rage,jason, at jason, at rage
        create mode = 664
        directory mode = 775
        force group = public
        path = /home/samba/public