Disappearing Mounts

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Mon Jan 8 09:29:59 GMT 2001

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Grant wrote:

> I'm using kernel 2.2.18 and 2.0.7 samba. Mounted Windows 2000 shares will
> still disconnect after a period of ~10 minutes. The work around was to
> create a crontab that will enter the uptime (arbitary) into a file on the
> Windows 2000 share every 10 minutes. This stopped it from
> disconnecting. I just sorted 600 emails, so I'm sorry if this is off
> subject.

If it disconnects it should re-connect when you access it again. The only
effect should be a slight delay. Does it do that or does it stop working?
(without the uptime script)

It would be nice if it didn't disconnect at all, but something is causing
that to happen vs win2k, NT4 and win9x machines. Probably something with
keepalives not working as they should.

If things stop working when it disconnects I would like to have these
questions answered:
+ What programs do you run on smbfs?
+ What (relevant) log messages do you get in your kernel logs?
+ When it disconnects (stops working?), is the smbmount (mount.smbfs)
  program still alive?
+ Does it go away if you apply the additional patch vs 2.2.18 posted
  earlier in this thread (let me know if you want a copy).

/Urban