Upgrade Problems rh6.2 -> rh7.0

Chip Killian chkill at netscape.net
Fri Jan 5 05:30:50 GMT 2001

Hello -

I have recently upgraded my rh linux system from rh 6.2 to rh 7.0.  Prior to
the upgrade, I had samba correctly configured and working to allow password
protected shares from the linux box to a win2k box that I also have on a
private network.  Since the upgrade it has not worked again.  I have tried
running the following versions of samba:

samba-2.0.6-9
samba-2.0.7-20000425
samba-2.0.7-21ssl
samba-2.0.7-4

I copied the smb.conf from the old configuration to the new smb.conf
location, and I started it up - and not it won't work.  Also, note that the
win2k box has already had the registry hack to make it send plain text
passwords.

In all cases, the win2k box shows the 'server' (that's the netbios name as
well as the computer name) in the network neighborhood, but will not allow it
to be expanded.  I have gotten various errors from "semaphore timeout" to
"network path not found" or "network path not accessible."  I get a constant
error message in the log that says -

[2001/01/05 00:15:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2001/01/05 00:15:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(566)
  write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 7: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[2001/01/05 00:15:25, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(754)
  Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting

The smb.conf file I've been using is:
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from home.ritz.2y.net (192.168.0.1)
# Date: 2000/10/27 00:13:13

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = BRAGAW
        netbios name = SERVER
        server string = Samba Main Server
        interfaces = 192.168.0.20/24
        security = SHARE
        debug level = 0
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 0
        domain master = Yes
        dns proxy = No
        comment = server linux box
        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /home/%u
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No
        available = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[tmp]
        comment = Temporary file space
        path = /tmp
        writeable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes

[chiphome]
        comment = Chip's Home Directory
        path = /home/cekillia
        valid users = cekillia
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[mikehome]
        comment = Mike's Home Directory
        path = /home/mtcrotty
        valid users = mtcrotty
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[pephome]
        comment = Pepper's Home Directory
        path = /home/eljobe
        valid users = eljobe
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

[ccmhome]
        comment = Catholic-ncsu's Home Directory
        path = /home/catholic-ncsu
        valid users = cekillia eljobe mtcrotty
        writeable = Yes
        browseable = No

Like I say - it worked before, and now I can't get it to work, and I'm quite
baffled.  Please help -

Thanks-
Chip