ERROR: Out of policy handles

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Thu Jan 4 12:06:29 GMT 2001

[bcc'd to samba at samba.org, but thread moved to Samba-technical
if more discussion follows...]

"MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1)" wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
> We're seeing several customers with this problem as well.
> One of them we can explain pretty well I think, and this
> might be something you want to consider in general -
> They started seeing these errors when they moved from
> individual client connections to the samba server to
> using Terminal server clients instead.  So in effect, a
> single smbd is having to handle LOTS of users over a single
> vc, and it makes it more likely that the smbd is going
> to run out of policy handles LEGITIMATELY...  We might
> want to add some documentation to the tree to warn about
> this, and possible consequences; On NT 4.0 terminal server
> there is a registry hack to force it to open a separate vc
> for each client connection to a server, but not everyone
> is willing to do this, and with Win2000 terminal
> services, this registry hack does not work, and there
> is currently no way to force Win2000 terminal services
> to use individual vc's per client.

Very good point.  The likely solution then for these
environments is to change the value of

	#define MAX_OPEN_POLS 64

in rpc_server/srv_lsa_hnd.c and recompile.  Of course,
Finding the right value would be via trial and error.
I don't see any limitations or determinental in the
code to larger values.

> Another customer experiencing this problem swears
> they have NO terminal server clients, so we are
> investigating this to see if we can tie a particular dos
> app, or some service that might be opening handles and not
> closing them appropriately. Do you have a good understanding
> of what kind of activity on a pc results in a policy
> handle being opened?

Don, these policy handles will only be used LSA
calls (using MS-RPC) to my knowledge, so I would
not expect a DOS app to cause this.  The reports I have
seen could be tracked to some type of a NT server app
that would do something periodically and never close
the handle.

Of course, the issue with Win2k TSE is another
instance.  In this case, I would agree that it seems to be
legitimate resource exhaustion.  The best thing then
would probably be to just up the MAX_OPEN_POLS as mentioned
above.

Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org