smbpasswd problem

Luis Luis at paycom.net
Wed Feb 28 20:46:54 GMT 2001

Witness wrote:

> I have a domain set up using Samba 2.0.7. However, none of the users can
> login because of the smbpasswd file.  Even after running the 'smbpasswd'
> for each user when I added them to the system, it did not add them to
> the file. So I just generated one, as described in ENCRYPTION.txt, from
> a copy of the /etc/passwd file that had only the users I wanted added in
> it. It generated one, but the passwords don't match and I have no idea
> what the passwords are.  I believe that I have the shadow passwords
> option enabled on the Linux system. What can I do to get the users to
> login? The only issue according to log.smb is that it is not finding the
> password or the correct password in the smbpasswd file.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Benjamen R. Meyer
> Witness

> "A bug port! I knew it!"
>     - Skuld, "Oh My Goddess"
>
> --

Have you tried to check that the id are the same. Sometimes what happen is
that the id will be off but one number. Also your user from what os are
they connecting from win95 win98 nt or win2000.

Plus when there trying to access or login , does the the computer ask them
for a user name plus password or does it just ask for the password. I have
samba 7 running fine. My users connect from all the box but I'm having
trouble with some nt .. Plus the machine that there connecting from is just
asking for a password. Let me know if that help you out if not you could
email your smb.conf  to me so I could look at it .

bye Luis