Samba and MS Access (new effect)

Dirk Kastens dkastens at uos.de
Wed Feb 28 15:20:50 GMT 2001

> now I'm confused. I told about the locking problem
> with Samba and MS Access .mdb files.
> When I use Samba 2.0.7-49 with SuSE Linux 7.0 and
> kernel 2.2.16 I have to set the option "fake oplocks=yes"
> on the share to get access to the .mdb files.
> Using Samba 2.0.7-105 on SuSE Linux 7.1 with kernel
> 2.4.0 it works without the fake oplocks option.
> I'm using the same smb.conf on both machines.

So, I thought the problem has been resolved....
But now I discovered the same problem with MS Excel
(Office 2000 on Win 2000). When I try to open
an Excel file on a samba share, the whole program
hangs. When I set the option "fake oplocks = yes"
everything works.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know.

Dirk