Samba server not giving the updated file on the samba share

Lakshman Prabu LPrabu at harlandfs.com
Mon Feb 26 17:48:13 GMT 2001

Hello all,

Can anybody tell me why i am having this strange problem of not able
to get the updated file on Samba share which reside on IBM AIX Version 4.2
from PC's running Window 95 and Windows 98.

Here is how the system is configured:

  - I have few samba shares created on the UNIX running IBM AIX version 4.2.
  - I have some Windows 95 and Windows 98 users mapped the samba share on
    the unix as their network drive.
  - I am running Samba 2.0.7 version on the IBM machine.

Here is my problem:

   - I created a file on the samba share (test.txt)
   - When i try to open the file from my windows 98 PC using the mapped
     network drive,  it is there with all the data i typed in.
   - I telnet to UNIX and changed the test.txt file (added new lines at the
end)
   - Opened the same file from my windows 98 PC using notepad.  This time i
expected
     to see the updated file.  But, it shows the file with the old data.  I
am able to see the
     updated file only if i unmap the and remap the samba share.

My 'smb.conf' file on the IBM AIX machine looks like this:

[global]
   workgroup = ULTRADATA
   local master = no
   domain master = no
   os level = 0
   security = server
   wins server = 198.211.47.5
   password server = 198.211.47.5
   encrypt passwords = yes
   remote announce = 198.211.51.255/ULTRADATA \
                     198.211.48.255/ULTRADATA \
                     198.211.46.255/ULTRADATA \
                     192.211.47.255/ULTRADATA \
                     192.149.115.255/ULTRADATA
   browseable = yes
   default case = upper
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes
   mangled names = no
   guest account = smbuser

[mks]
   comment = MKS Project Files
   path = /data/mks
   public = yes
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   write list = prg
   force group = softcon
   force user = softcon1
   force create mode = 775

[sandbox]
   comment = MKS Sandboxes
   path = /data/sandbox
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   read only = no
   write list = prg
   force group = prg
   force create mode = 775

All windows 95 and windows 98 users are able to map the above 'sandbox' and
'mks' shares without any problem
but some of them are having the strange problem that i mentioned above.  I
am not sure whether it is a bug in the
Samba software or it is a configuration issue.  Your help is greatly
appreciated in fixing the problem i am experiencing.

Thanks in advance.

Lakshman Prabu
Supervisor of Programming - ULTRADATA System
Harland Financial Solutions (NYSE: JH)
lprabu at harlandfs.com
5000 Franklin Drive
Pleasanton, CA 94588
(925) 463-8356 x 4816 and  (925)-416-1874  (Fax)