Fixed [Join NT Domain : password problem, or so it seems]

Damien Veillon Damien.Veillon at alcatel.fr
Mon Feb 26 14:27:21 GMT 2001

OK, That's fixed now ;-)

The problem was : part of the joining process, "smbpasswd -j" changes
the machine account password of the samba box on the PDC. In my case,
the PDC refused that change because of two options set in its registry.
Those two options are : RefusePasswordChange and DisablePasswordChange
and are located in the following registry key :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters

After having de-activated those options and restarted the netlogon
service, "smbpasswd -j" was ok and I was happy again !

You will find the description of those two options on :

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q154/5/01.asp

Thanks to James, Tim and John for their answers,

Damien.