DNS - L I V E S .........

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Sun Feb 25 07:47:04 GMT 2001

David Rankin wrote:

> Andrew & Kenny - Thank You!
>
>     DSN will talk to me again!  I still don't have the dynamic DNS
> completely right, but God it sure is nice to have nslookup speaking to
> me again.  I couldn't have done it without your help. Ok, here is the
> status.
>
>     Like a numer of us, I have the uncanny nack of making life far too
> difficult for myself. You are goinng to sh!$ when you find out what my
> DNS problem was. I am somewhat embarressed to send this out public, but
> I think this is a great lesson for all of us. (perhaps not for the
> informed, but for the uninformed, it is worth its weight in gold.
>
>     First, when DNS died, I picked through all of the logs to try and
> make sense out of what was goung on (NO Dice). In my message log I had
> an innocuous line that complained about a syntax "^M" error in named
> .conf. Totally my fault! I had assumed (ass out of u & me) that the
> editor (FMview) I was using from the win side of the house wouldn't put
> a CRLF in the file opened from the Linux box (wrong answer Mary-Lou) It
> works great for editing files as long as you never hit return.
>
>     Notwithstanding the prior FUBAR (fuc%ed up beyound all recognition),
> I had used the "//" notation (like you would use in "named.conf") in the
> zone files for a couple of comment lines. (poor choice to say the least)
>
>     Yes, after numerous (named & ndc) restarts, I had some orphaned
> "named" processes hanging around that was resolved with Andrew's
> suggestions.
>
>     Now named actually does start and run great (almost) forward and
> reverse lookups for my linux box work great for the box itself. DHCP
> will now allow domain logons. The domain logon scripts work from all
> machines.
>
>     HOWEVER, I have another DNS problem.  DNS works forwards and
> backwards for my Linux box, but what is really weird, is that when I
> logon from and Win9x box (with domain logins) , if I try an nslookup
> from my Linux box, for the machine/user that got a dynamic IP, I get
> nothing but an error from nslookup. "can't find host"
>
>     In my named.conf, I have used allow-update{any}; instead of using
> "key etc..." because my install didn't give me a dnsgeygen file to
> create a TSIG key. From what I have read, this should work because the
> ACL list variable "any" is predefined and should allow anyone (address)
> to update the zone files.

It might be in the 'bind-utils' package - allow-update {any} is NOT a
good idea.
You might need to update your verion of BIND, particularly in the light
of the various bugs found in it of late.  (I know I've been scanned for
named.version info...)

>     This is where I am at (still somewhat lost in the ddns fog). Can
> anyone give me some suggestions on how to make DNS register my DHCP
> clients so that I will be able to do a dnslookup on the hosts that are
> logged in and get an IP in return? What am I missing? (Better yet, what
> information can I send you to help figure out what I am missing?  Thanks
> to everyone for the help!
>
> David Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
> Nacogdoches, Texas
> drankin at cox-internet.com
>
> (Ain't life wonderful pretending you are your own CIO?)

Again, I must point you to the examples in 'man dhcpd.conf'.  Also, you
must specify the DNS update method - presuming your using the latest
dhcpd.  In any case, what dose named/dhcpd print into /var/log/messages
when you attempt to boot a windows client, and what entries does it
generate in dhcpd.leases (probably in /var/lib/dhcpd).

Also, can named write to the dynamic zone files?  And do .ixfr files
appear as the zones update?

Andrew Bartlett,

--
Andrew Bartlett