DNS - named is DEAD! Won't restart

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Feb 24 00:41:39 GMT 2001

Hello all -- "named" needs CPR on my box.

I have been trying to transition from static IP to DHCP on my samba
server. DHCP works, I get a proper IP assigned to the Windows clients
(winipcfg confirmed this), but since I am using domain logons, I needed
dynamic DNS. So I started working on my DNS server. (Andrew Bartlett has
been a great help - Thank you)
Everything was going along fine - nslookup was working fine. I was
getting forward and reverse lookups on my domain, gateway, mail, etc...
I was making progress ;-)

Then DISASTER!!!  "ndc restart" hung the terminal. So then I kill [pid]
for ndc/restart and named. I then copied the saved working copies of
dhcpd.conf, named.conf and my zone files and tried to start named again.
It hung. I read all the man files (for hours) and looked through the
logs for something strange.  The only thing I could find strange (or at
least what I thought was strange) was error messages regarding the \misc
and \net directory [automount] failures. I checked through the older
logs and found the same errors had been present for for quite some time.
DNS was working despite the \misc and \net error for weeks. So I don't
know if that is related to my problem or not. I don't know if  starting
DHCP with ddns set messed something up either.

The bottom line is -- I can't get "ndc start" to load named anymore and
I can't for the life of me figure out why. If someone else has run into
this problem, I would be greatful if you could tell me what is going on,
or at least point me to some useful documentation.

I have tried a reastart with a bare bones named.conf with only
"localhost" and "0.0.127" zones and named still will not start.

Thank you in advance for any wisdom you may offer.

I hate taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. It just leaves a sour
taste in your mouth at the end of the day.

David Rankin
Nacogdoches, Texas
drankin at cox-internet.com