SAMBA Really Slow

John Supplee John at rediscov.com
Fri Feb 23 17:23:47 GMT 2001

It's been awhile since I posted on this thread because I have been busy with
other things.  Unfortunately, I don't owe anyone on this list a beer as I am
still having the problem.  I originally started this thread as a problem
with MS Visual Foxpro, but I don't think it is an issue with VFP.  The
problem seems to be that SAMBA is taking a very long time to serve requests
for file information.

The following two tests I performed are symptomatic of my problem:

1. Copying approx. 400 mostly small files using Windows Explorer I get the
following results.

  FTP
  1:22 (5 secs of this is preparation)

  Samba
  2:15 (1:00 is preparation!)

In the case of copying files from SAMBA windows explorer sits there
processing files (i.e. it has not started copying) for about a minute with a
"Processing..." message.  I assume it is gathering information on each file
(like its size).  Also note that the the smbd process consumes 95-98% of CPU
time during this preparation stage and then drops significantly once files
start copying.

2. Copying one large file from windows explorer.

  FTP
  0:30

  Samba
  0:17

No problems with a single file copy.

Is SAMBA just really slow at processing large number of files or am I
missing something in the configuration (my smb.conf is attached)?

John R. Supplee
Programming Manager
Re:discovery Software, Inc. <http://www.rediscov.com>
Charlottesville, VA