MORE - Transition Static IP to DHCPD

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Fri Feb 23 05:02:26 GMT 2001

Andrew, I have DNS partially working and I have set up zones per the How-To.(at
least nslookup works but I still cant log into my domain with dhcp - static IP
logins still work fine).  dhcpd does gives my win9x clients addresses, I can use
dhcpd -d -f and I get the following:

*************
[root at Nemesis /root]# dhcpd -d -f
Internet Software Consortium DHCP Server V3.0b2pl9
Copyright 1995-2000 Internet Software Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP
Wrote 1 leases to leases file.
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:a0:cc:e2:4b:53/192.168.7.0
Sending on   LPF/eth0/00:a0:cc:e2:4b:53/192.168.7.0
Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
DHCPDISCOVER from 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0
DHCPOFFER on 192.168.7.100 to 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0
if IN A RANKIN.rbpllc.com doesn't exist add 10800 IN A RANKIN.rbpllc.com
192.168.7.100: resolver failed.
DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.7.100 from 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0
DHCPACK on 192.168.7.100 to 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0
if IN A RANKIN.rbpllc.com doesn't exist add 10800 IN A RANKIN.rbpllc.com
192.168.7.100: resolver failed.
DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.7.100 from 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0
DHCPACK on 192.168.7.100 to 00:a0:cc:e2:d4:bd (RANKIN) via eth0

*************

I know my win9x client gets the 192.168.7.100 IP address because I can use
"winipcfg" on the win9x side and see that my win9x box received, and is in fact
using the address. I simply can't log onto the domain.  I have been through the man
pages and I have a few questions on setting up ddns so I can log into my domain with
DHCP:

1.  If I am just trying to get this working, do I need the key DHCP_UPDATER {} TSIG
stuff for ddns?
2.  If so, where does it go in the dhcpd.conf and named.conf files? (global or
subnet sections)
3.  Where do I put the zone info in dhcpd.conf? (inside or outside of the subnet
designation)
4.  Could you send me a copy of a dhcpd.conf, named.conf and zone files so I can use
them as a reference?

Please take a look at the files below and let me know if I need to change anything
around.

************ my dhcpd.conf currently looks like this:

subnet 192.168.7.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
 # default gateway
 option routers 192.168.7.13;
 option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
 option domain-name "rbpllc.com";
 option domain-name-servers 192.168.7.14;
 option netbios-name-servers 192.168.7.14;
 #option nis-domain "rbpllc.com";

 ddns-domainname "rbpllc.com"
 ddns-rev-domainname "in-addr.arpa"

 range dynamic-bootp 192.168.7.20 192.168.7.100;
 default-lease-time 21600;
 max-lease-time 43200;
}

******************* My named.conf is at work (never fails)

******************* My zone file is as follows:

; Filename: /var/named/rbpllc.com

rbpllc.com.             SOA     Nemesis.rbpllc.com. david.rbpllc.com. (
                                 2001022200      ; Serial number
                                      86400      ; Refresh     1 day
                                       7200      ; Retry       2 hours
                                    3600000      ; Expire      41.67 days
                                     172800 )    ; Minimum TTL 2 days

rbpllc.com.             NS      Nemesis.rbpllc.com.
//rbpllc.com.           NS      bcs.cox-internet.com.
rbpllc.com.             MX      0       mail.rbpllc.com.

www.rbpllc.com.         A       192.168.7.12
Nemesis.rbpllc.com.     A       192.168.7.14
mail.rbpllc.com.        A       192.168.7.14
localhost               A       127.0.0.1
gw                      A       192.168.7.13

**************** My reverse file is as follows:

; Filename: /var/named/192.168.7

7.168.192.in-addr.arpa.   SOA  Nemesis.rbpllc.com. david.rbpllc.com. (
                                 2001022200      ; Serial number
                                      86400      ; Refresh     1 day
                                       7200      ; Retry       2 hours
                                    3600000      ; Expire      41.67 days
                                     172800 )    ; Minimum TTL 2 days

7.168.192.in-addr.arpa.         NS      Nemesis.rbpllc.com.
;42.168.192.in-addr.arpa.        NS      ns2.isp.net.

14.7.168.192.in-addr.arpa.      PTR     Nemesis.rbpllc.com.
14.7.168.192.in-addr.arpa.      PTR     mail.rbpllc.com.
13.7.168.192.in-addr.arpa.      PTR     gw

That's it, I still need help... Thanks for any further help you can offer.

drankin at cox-internet.com