SMB server seems to be probing the net for shares

Hall, Ken (ECSS) KeHall at exchange.ml.com
Wed Feb 21 18:44:11 GMT 2001

This is a VERY old problem.  Windows workstations do periodic DNS lookups for the WORKGROUP name.  If there's no local nameserver to resolve this lookup, and you're using something like a demand-dial internet router, it will trigger periodic dialouts, or keep the link up constantly.

The solution is to set up a caching nameserver on your Samba box to catch DNS lookups, and forward unknowns to your ISP's nameserver.