Share password.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Thu Feb 22 23:19:38 GMT 2001

Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:43:58 +1100
> Andrew Bartlett <abartlet at pcug.org.au> wrote:
> <gautier at email.enstfr>
> >
> > Becouse Samba must at some stage become a normal unix user, share level
> > secuirty isn't really an option as you would expect (ie password =
> > MYSHAREPASS) - but I can see one way in which it could be made possible:
>
> I would expect samba to become a guest user (ie: nobody) like it does
> for guest only share with no password)
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Fabrice Gautier <gautier at email.enstfr>

Well while that might make sence for a read only share, giving the guest
user write access to anyting is just asking for trouble - if only
becouse other programs run as 'guest' on the presumption that they can't
write anywhere either.   That is why you need a real unix user to do the
work.

--
Andrew Bartlett
abartlet at pcug.org.au