startup script

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Thu Feb 22 15:10:30 GMT 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, mjs wrote:

> I made the samba startup scipt and named it smb,..and placed it in the
> /etc/rc.d/init.d dir, and then next (exactly like it says)

"it" says? I think chkconfig only works on scripts that have magic strings
in them, but perhaps yours do.

> chmod 777 smb
> chkconfig --add smb
> chkconfig --level 345 smb on

'chmod 777 smb' is a really, really bad idea. It gives write access to
everyone. 'chmod a+x,og-w smb' is a lot better (chmod 755 smb).

> /root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
> Starting SMB services: execvp: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> Starting NMB services: execvp: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
>

> Keep in mind that I installed samba in the /usr/local/samba207 dir not the
> default by using
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/samba207

Does /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb know about this?

It probably doesn't and that means it can't find the executable (that is
where the "No such file or directory" comes from). Adding something like
this to the script should help:

PATH=/usr/local/samba207/bin:${PATH}
export PATH

This adds the directory where you keep your samba executables to the path.
This allows the script to find it by filename only. It needs to be done
before any references to smbd.

/Urban