MORE - Transition Static IP to DHCPD

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Thu Feb 22 03:14:17 GMT 2001

Andrew, I need a few more pearls of wisdom....

I configured dhcp with a basic config and dhcpd starts just fine. I have run
dhcpd -d -f to see what happens when I try to connect with a Win9x box. The
results are
DHCPOFFER (etc.. IP assigned to MAC Address)
DHCPACK (same stuff, etc.. IP assigned to MAC Address)
fallback (This is from memory, maybe failover, etc)

On the windows side I get a message that the domain password supplied is
incorrect. (The domain login works just fine with static IPs - I don't get it)

I thinks this is a DNS problem? I have setup named.conf, resolve.conf,
host.conf and nsswitch.conf files as per the HOW-TOs for a simple caching only
DNS set up. I don't have an outside connection to the net yet (that comes next
week), so all I am trying to do is get DHCP working on the private side of my
net.  Like I mentioned in my last post, if I use static IPs, my Linux/Samba
box works great for Win95, Win98 and WinME machines.

named is up and running. I can do a nslookup and get the proper response from
localhost. However, when I try to lookup the fqdn of the samba box or the
machine next to me I get nothing (except an error)

On boot, I do experience a NIS and ypbind error. (still under investigation -
any hints here would help as well)

I am struggling to rationalize the interplay between DHCP and the dynamic DNS
setup you spoke of. I am also struggling to understand the interplay between
DHCP,DNS,NIS and yp. I quess what I'm looking for is someone to say:

"Hey dummy, it aint that tough. You need to make sure (X. Y. and Z.)  are
installed and working.  And then do (A, B and C). I have ISC DCHP 3.0b2 and
Bind 8 installed. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

I'm off to dig through the BIND documentation. If I'm headed in the wrong
direction, please let me know.

David Rankin
drankin at cox-internet.com
Nacogdoches, Texas