Samba Password Problems

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Wed Feb 21 14:00:55 GMT 2001

Hello Mark,
It sounds like you did all the right stuff;
A couple of things to check; do you have an entry for
the NT user in your /etc/passwd file on the samba server?
Even though the user is being authenticated against the NT
PDC, you have to have the user in your /etc/passwd file so that
samba knows what uid/gid to use when accessing/creating unix files.
The other issue, about network name not found sounds like the 'Public'
share may be pointing to an invalid or inaccessible unix directory path.
Check to make sure that the 'path = ' parameter under public is pointing
to a valid directory on your linux box, and that you have execute permission
for the appropriate user(s) on each directory in the path.
If none of this makes a difference, you might consider posting your
smb.conf file with this problem (minus comments).  Also, if you want to
turn logging on (log level = 10, and log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m)
and run your test again, and then send me the log.machinename that you get,
I'd be glad to take a quick look at it to see if I can spot anything
obvious...
Hope this helps,
Don