1pdc of 3 workgroup

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 21 13:21:26 GMT 2001

On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 07:27:06PM +0100, Matteo S. wrote:
> DOMAIN1	--	WORKGROUP1 [lab 1]
> pdc samba(with wins)
> 	\	--	WORKGROUP2 [lab 2]
> 	\	--	WORKGROUP3 [lab 3]
>
> all pcs logon with domain DOMAIN1 and have as wins server the ip of the PDC.
> the pcs are partitioned in 3 workgroup, and this group need to browse
> between.  I have tryied this but in any workgroup were been elected a master
> browser. I don't wont and i want that the master is DOMAIN1 for all
> workgroups.
>
> The solution for this problem is put DOMAIN1 in all workgroup as
> masterbrowser but samba accept only one workgroup.;(

I also have this problem (people sometime have strange ideas about what
browsing is about and each workgroups want to browse only their servers ...).

Anyway: Currently the cleanest way would to have multiple smbd/nmbd running on
the PDC on several IP aliases. That way your pdc would effetively be
replicated 3 times but wouzld use the same smbpasswd.

The other way would be to use undocumented features of Samba, which allow one
PDC to autheticate it's users agains another PDC, e.g. I once tried to have
security=server on the cascading PDC and it happened to work. This is of
course without any warranty. Maybe some Samba developer will comment on this
and most probably shoot me for giving such an advise ...

As I understand the *right way* would be for those domains to be able to trust
each other, but this does not work yet under Samba.

Regards, Axel.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de