Share password.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at pcug.org.au
Wed Feb 21 11:43:58 GMT 2001

Fabrice Gautier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it posible with samba to specify a specfic password for a specific
> share?
>
> I'm using the samba server with "security = share" mode. I've mainly
> guest only shares but would like to set a password on one share (à la
> Win9x).
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Fabrice Gautier <gautier at email.enstfr>

Becouse Samba must at some stage become a normal unix user, share level
secuirty isn't really an option as you would expect (ie password =
MYSHAREPASS) - but I can see one way in which it could be made possible:

Add a new unix account for that particular share.  Make it own all the
files to be shared.  Give it a password and smbpassword (if applicable)
and use 'username =' to set the user.  Then again I might just be
talking through my hat...  In any case read the appropriate section of
the smb.conf man page.

Hope this helps,
Andrew Bartlett

--