Question regarding printing to an NT print server

Nicci Tynen ntynen at 24hourfit.com
Tue Feb 20 21:36:59 GMT 2001

I've been looking through the newsgroups but can't find this exact problem.  If
it has previously been answered, please direct me to the post.

Here's the problem:

I'm running Red Hat Linux 6.2 (kernel 2.4.1) on a P II.
I'm running the following samba RPMs:
samba-client-2.0.7-4
samba-common-2.0.7-4
samba-2.0.7-4

I need to print to an NT print server.

My Printcap looks like this:
lp:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:\
        :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :if=/usr/lib/rhs/rhs-printfilters//smbprint:

/var/spool/lpd/lp/.config looks like this:

share='\\PrintHost\Information Technologies HP4000N'
hostip=
user='NTDomain\username'
password='XXXX'
workgroup=''

When I try to print this is the message in /var/log/messages:

Feb 20 13:31:55 tux lpd[3569]: restarting lp
Feb 20 13:32:05 tux last message repeated 3 times
Feb 20 13:32:08 tux lpd[3569]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA013tux)
Feb 20 13:32:08 tux lpd[3569]: mail sent to user root about job testpage.ps on
printer lp (FATALERR)

The e-mail is basically useless - just says:

Your printer job (testpage.ps)
could not be printed

I am successfully mounting my NT shares on my Linux box so something is
working. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
nicci

--
Sam:   What do you know there, Norm?
Norm:  How to sit.  How to drink.  Want to quiz me?

Sam:   Hey, how's life treating you there, Norm?
Norm:  Beats me. ...  Then it kicks me and leaves me for dead.
		-- Cheers, Loverboyd

Woody: How would a beer feel, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  Pretty nervous if I was in the room.
		-- Cheers, Loverboyd