NT hates Samba ??!?

Roman, James (J.D.) jroman6 at ford.com
Tue Feb 20 16:44:40 GMT 2001

A possible fix.

If you are using Roaming Profiles.....
The most common cause of this problem is a poor logon path.  (See the logon
path section of the smb.conf manpage.)  Make sure that you are not storing
profiles in the HOMES Share...at all...period. I find it's best to create an
entirely separate share (names PROFILES, for example) that has no relation
to the HOMES share directory path on the Unix server.
[HOMES]
	comment = Home Directories
	read-only = No
	browsable = No

[PROFILES]
	comment = User Profiles
	path = /profiles  # the point is not in /home/anything
	browsable = no

logon path = \\%N\profiles\%U  # \\servername\profiles\username

Note that samba will not create the user directory in the profiles share for
you. I ran into some problems initially with this so I added a few lines to
my adduser script to also create a directory in the /profiles directory that
the user owned and only the user had write access to (like the user's home
directory permissions). In this case, since you only have four users, you
could manually set up the directories in the profile path.

This is what I remember off the top of my head.  There may be some
additional issues as well. If this you're not using profiles, or it doesn't
fix the problem. Write back and I'll see what else I changed to fix this.