Session Request Failed

Alex Le Fevre alexlefevre at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 03:18:28 GMT 2001

I've been going through the DIAGNOSIS.txt file trying
to figure out why my PCs are only seeing IPC$ on my
Samba server, and I've reached an interesting problem.

When running smbclient -L WWW (the name of the host) I
get:

added interface ip=209.190.205.236
bcast=209.190.205.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
added interface ip=192.168.2.69 bcast=192.168.2.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
session request to WWW failed (Not listening for
calling name)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening
for calling name)

Smbd is definitely running, along with nmbd (I started
both manually with the -D option). Why would it not be
listening? Is this likely the cause of my IPC$ error?

Thanks,
Alex Le Fevre