repost: Transition Static IP to DHCPD

David Rankin drankin at cox-internet.com
Sat Feb 17 05:52:08 GMT 2001

Second Post, Some initial responses, but I need more concrete
information. If anybody has additional information, please give me your
thoughts..

I currently have a Linux box with Samba 2.07 serving a Win95, two Win98s
and
a WinME machine. The install is a Mandrake 7.2 server install on the
Linux
box. Right now I have all my machines using static IP's 192.168.0.10
(11,12&13). My smb.conf "name reslove order" = wins lmhosts host bcast.
want to use DHCP and get rid of the static IP's.  I have samba as my
wins
server and each of my machines is listed in lmhost and host. I have each
of
my Win9x machines listing the other Win9x machines and the Linux box as
DNS
servers (not sure about this one, but --  My net runs great!)

I need advise on how to make the transition to DHCP. I have read the
HOW-TOs
and I am confortable with dhcpd and the dhcp.conf entries and
dhcp.leases
files. What I need to know is what in the heck do I do with the lmhosts
and
hosts files when I start using DHCP to prevent name resolution
conflicts???
Do I just edit the files and remove the static entries? Can I just
remove
the entries from lmhosts and hosts for one of my machines, start DHCP
and
use the machine with no entries in lmhosts and hosts as my test machine
for
DHCP.

This is all being contemplated in anticipation of adding cable modem
service
to my office which will be distributed to all machines through a Linksys

cable/dsl router that also does DHCP and NAT. Do I even need to move to
DHCP
before I add the router? The Linksys does DHCP, do I even need to
configure
my Linux box to do DHCP? What I don't want to happen is to add the
router
and switch to DHCP and have my Win9x boxes not be able to access my
samba
server.

I need help! What would you do in this situation?

David Rankin
drankin at txucom.net