Smbmount broken in 2.4.1-ac15?

Adam Warner mailing_lists at consulting.net.nz
Sat Feb 17 10:25:15 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I've just joined the list to hopefully get confirmation about what looks to be
a kernel bug in 2.4.1-ac15. Quite simply I can mount a remote directory and
even lists its contents but the second I change to that directory (or try to
access the directory) everything disappears.

[I've just upgraded to 2.4.1-ac15. I needed to change the configuration and
recompile again after experiencing a spontaneous reboot and lockups in X.
I presume this was caused by the Voodoo3 DRI support which is no longer
compiled in (I also took out ACPI kernel support). I have an ABit BP6.]

Here's a command line explaination of my samba problem:

[root at adam /]# smbmount "\\\\server\\shared" /server_data -o username=adam
Password:
[root at adam /]# ls /server_data/
2.2.16 2.2.18 2.4.1
(etc.)
[root at adam /]# cd /server_data
[root at adam /server_data]# ls
ls: .: No such file or directory

This is extemely odd. The remote directory can no longer be accessed. The
server is running Redhat's latest 2.2.17-14smp kernel (released Mon Feb
5).

SMB filesystem support is compiled into the 2.4.1-ac15 kernel.

I have also rebooted under Redhat's 2.2.17-14smp and smbmont again works fine.

I have a fully updated Redhat 7.0 install.

Well I hope we can track down the cause of this bug.

Regards,
Adam