fresh compile no smb.conf

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Feb 14 16:06:48 GMT 2001

In a recent compile of both the latest from head branch and 2.2.0-alpha2

After ./compile/ make  make install

I have no smb.conf in /usr/local/samba/lib

When I run the software it looks there but finds nothing.  I don't
know compiler flags etc but Looking back through the `make' stage I
see:

	Using FLAGS = -O -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper
	-DLOGFILEBASE="/usr/local/samba/var"
	-DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
	-DLMHOSTSFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts" ....

And later at the `make install' stage:

	Using FLAGS = -O -Iinclude -I./include -I./ubiqx -I./smbwrapper
	-DLOGFILEBASE="/usr/local/samba/var"
	-DCONFIGFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf"
	-DLMHOSTSFILE="/usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts" .....

Should files have shown up in /usr/local/samba/lib?

If not, then it seems a very obvious pointer to that fact should be
prominent in README, or an INSTALL file.  Not buried in the acres of
documentation under `doc'.  Or am I just overlooking obvious info?