Connectivity Issue, Bug or Feature, Samba 2.0.6/7

Pete De Vasto pdevasto at incyte.com
Tue Feb 13 19:20:56 GMT 2001

Hi, all:

I tried sending this out a couple of weeks ago, but never got any response, and when I tried to track it down in my "sent items" folder, it wasn't there either, so I'm either halucinating THINKING I sent it out, or the message got lost.  Anyhow, one of our Senior system admins sent the following message out to the rest of the staff:

We've become aware of what is either a bug or a feature in samba...

It seems if there is some sort of interruption of connectivity between the samba server and a subnet, samba will sometimes not renew
connectivity to that subnet. You get error messages on the PC side indicating that it can't talk to the server; no messages in the samba log.

When we've seen this, the symptoms are that NOONE on that subnet can connect in any way; other subnets are unaffected.

What we've done to fix it is to restart the samba daemons on the server side. Failure to do this judiciously results in the interruption of  open connections.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?  Is this a bug or a feature?  Thanks, in advance, for any input.
--
Pete De Vasto
Unix Account Manager                    Phone:  650-621-8582
Palo Alto, CA  94304                       Email:  pdevasto at incyte.com